If you would like to contribute new content, you can clone this wiki to your local host using the following command:
git clone git://git.suckless.org/sites
git clone https://git.suckless.org/sites
Then edit the wiki as you like. The markdown interpreter that is currently used on suckless.org is smu.
For adding new files, after you created them, use:
git add somefile
When you are finished, commit your changes with:
git commit -a
There you enter some meaningful commit message and end the editor.
To push your changes to the queue for the review by the suckless moderators, use:
git push git://git.suckless.org/sites
The review of your changes might take a few days, due to the different timezones we all live in.
Please make sure to update for incoming changes using »git pull«, before you push changes, to minimize merge problems.
The wiki repository above is world-writable.
- If any abuse happens, we will disable world-writable access. Keep this in mind! We kindly ask you to not destroy the way we like to collaborate with the community.
- Please do not add files bigger than 100kb.
- Please do not add unscaled large images. If needed provide a thumbnail.
- Please do not add any binary files except screenshots or images related to our software.
- For datetimes use the international date format: yyyy-mm-dd.
- The patches should be hosted in the repository itself. Providing an additional mirror with the same content is OK.
Try to provide a clear subject and a clear commit message. The subject should not be more than 79 characters.
The format should be:
Subject not more than 79 characters<newline> <newline> Clear message describing the commit, line-wrapped to maximum of 79 characters. This message can be optional for trivial commits.
- The extension of newly created Markdown files must be
- There are some dialects of Markdown, please don't use too "advanced" features.
A quick way to check what output will be generated on the site is to do:
smu -n < index.md | lynx -stdin
Please review your changes locally before pushing to avoid spamming the commit log and the review process.
The incoming changes to the wiki are all sent to the wiki@ mailinglist. See community for how to subscribe to this list.
If you are a moderator, you will likely need the following procedure to pull the changes into the main repository:
This script makes sure the changes are pulled in with the correct permissions.
This is for moderators.
To create a new repository just git init --bare and symlink the git hooks (see the hooks/ directory in the other projects).